Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I am a baby boomer. The day I turned 50, I was so happy, so exhilarated. I had reached a landmark in my life. I had lived a half of a century. I felt like a diva, a princess, a queen. I demanded the respect of all those who I came in contact with that day. I decided then and there, that I was going to do whatever I pleased, whenever I pleased. I earned that right.
Now at age 58, that day seems like a blur. Granted, I still feel that moment of exhilaration, but in the same respect, a sort of reality set in. There are issues my generation have to face, from being caretakers of our parents, retirement, to even trying to find sensable clothing to fit my mindset.
Oh, those days in my life, seem to make reality non existant. Elvis, rock and roll, free love, lsd and Jimmy Hendricks. How perfect was that world! Where do we go from here?

3 comments:

IB said...

Great blog. Keep up the good work.
I was born in 1960, so just at the tale end of the generation. I missed the stuff of legend from the 60s as i was still in grade school but came of age in all the weirdness that was the 70s. I am happy for you that you are celebrating the current phase of your life, so many others would rather live in the past.

Peace!

http://idiotsstew.blogspot.com

BLOGitse said...

Hi from Cairo!
I'm a hippi too - until I die!

Keep up blogging!

Atrueoriginall said...

I was 50 before I turned 50. When I turned 49 I would tell everyone from that day on that I was 50. When 50 came it was just like another day. I'll be 60 soon so when I'm 59 (around the corner) I'll start telling everyone I'm 60. It takes the sting out.