Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb!

Wasn't Kookie the ginchiest? Born July 30, 1933, Edward Byrne Breitenberger starred in the TV series 77 Sunset Strip as Gerald Lloyd "Kookie" Kookson. He was a valet at Dean Martins "Dino's Lodge" restaurant next to 77 Sunset Strip. Sometimes he helped out the PI's trying to solve their cases.
He knew the word on the street and called everyone "dad." Always snapping his fingers he had a cool beatnik style. He was constantly combing his dovetail hair which led him to become a teenage idol heartthrob.
Later in his career, Edd Byrnes was hired to host the pilot of the "Wheel of Fortune" game show. That didn't work out for him and was replaced by Chuck Woolery.
Recently, Byrnes traveled to car shows selling his autographed pictures. But because of his unprofessional behavior and charging above average rates for his photos, many car shows have banned him.
In 2007, at the Blast From The Past car show in Texas, Edd Byrnes started yelling obscenities at a little girl and her father for videotaping him. He doesn't want anyone recording him for free. Well there you have it. Kookie, the cool cat turned into a guy with a big ego. In my opinion, the dude is just grasping at straws and living in a moment somewhere in time.
If you would like to read more about the life of Ed Byrnes, he wrote an autobiography in 1996 called, "Kookie No More."

2 comments:

Les Barr said...

Greetings!

I happen to come across your Blog and enjoyed reading your Posts. Everything there, I can remember, since I am a "Boomer" also.

I, also, remember the 60's and the "flower children". I can recall having soda cans thrown at me and being spat upon because I was a US Navy Vietnam Veteran. I didn't take to kindly to that stuff, but that was more than 40 yrs. ago. It was a bad time for us all. If you are interested read my Post "On Patrol" and "Heavy Fog".

Nice to meet you.

soulMerlin said...

I remember Kookie from 77 Sunset Strip...together with the improbably named Ephraim Zimbalist Jr as the 'boss' of the private eye firm.

I helped Ed rehearse for his part in a West End production, around 1993 (give or take a couple of years) Ed and I spent a whole weekend together as he learnt his lines, and got into character.

It was just after his success as the MC in Grease and it was amazing how people recognised him

Perhaps he was happier then...I certainly found him to be a really nice guy.

Thenks for the memories

henry